[SEL] My Homepage /Now Spencer's Forum

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Jan 21 11:48:21 PST 2008

At 07:00 PM 21/01/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:28:20 -0600
>From: "Best, George" <George_Best at adp.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] My Homepage
>
>The sad part for me is that Spencer announced the new forums for
>ATIS/SEL around Christmas time and there has been little to no support
>for the new forums.  Some think the forums need was already being met by
>other established forums.
>
>Now... Someone else comes along and wants us to support their forums.
>
>For all the work and effort Spencer has done for this group, I think it
>is pretty poor way to thank Spencer by supporting another new forum
>while ignoring the one Spencer provides.
>I also thought it was a bit misleading to post it as a someone's
>"homepage" then finding out it is really a group of discusion forums.
>Just my 2 cents.
>George

Hi George,
         (I receive the "Digest" version of the SEL so my comments may be
as much as 24 hours out of date!)

         I'm 100% behind you on all your comments. I'm not a "forum" kinda
guy but I did go there and sign up (Spencer's forum that is - not the other
one.) I looked at the other one.

         Spencer posted the news this way on the 19th December:
"I figured you folks deserved a present this year - so look under the tree:
http://www.atis.net/forums
PS:   Been busy with life and the project resulting in the link above -
charity auction to start soon!
Spencer Yost"

         Now Guys, I read between the lines on that post, (and forgive me,
a relative newbie, for giving the rest of you a 'bollocksing' <sp?>).
Spencer obviously had the idea quite a while back and did a lot of work in
the background (as a surprise and gift to SEL members ?) to get that whole
lot going and was probably pretty excited when he announced it to the list.

         What was really disappointing was the very few replies (and "thank
you's") he got from this list as well as the very few members registering
on the forum. There were not even many replies saying it was or was not a
good idea or at least "wishing it luck".

         O.K. , So I do know that there are other very popular forums out
there (I also belong to SMOKSTAK but do not post often ) and I'm not
qualified to judge on wether there is place for another forum or not but
for goodness sake - at least reply and give your thoughts!

         My personal preference is not for "Forums" because I just do not
have the time to spend on them -  as a member still on "dial up" (changing
very soon) I prefer the email list, where I can "log on" -  download my
mail - "log off" and read and answer the mail (I'm a terribly slow 2 finger
typist) at my leisure and then "log on" again and send my replies.  Having
said that, I do spend a lot of time on forums especially on weekends when I
have more time and my dial up charges are much reduced. There is much
knowledge to be gleaned from them.

         Now, to get back to this post. Spencer's post was just before
Christmas so that gives a whole bunch of you excuses for not replying
because you were too busy preparing for the holidays but it does not excuse
bad manners!

         Spencer provides this service to us and we all use and love it at
no cost (as does Jim on the Oldengine List and Harry with Smokstak) - Is it
really too much trouble to just pen a quick note of thanks for his efforts
??? I'm sure it takes a fair amount of his time as well as $$.

         C'mon Guys - the SEL is a great list - get your act (and manners)
together.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm