[SEL] OT Willys Overland project.

Mike Royster mr at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 18:54:58 PST 2008

It's worth it.  I am still driving the 1948 Willys Jeep my dad and I rebuilt
when I was 15-16.  I'll never forget it and I learned a lot that serves me
today.

I learned even more from my brother Steve working on cars.  Such as how to
cuss, throw wrenches into the cotton field, but the best ever was the time
he was drilling with my dad's 1/2 inch B&D drill, it only turned 600rpms and
was massive.  Once you let go of the trigger, it took a good 30 seconds for
it to wind down.  One fine summer day Steve was working on his "hot rod"
1946 Ford Coupe, drilling new holes in his revamped fenders when something
went wrong, very wrong.  Before he knew it, his cotton blue jeans were
caught up in the bit, and it was peeling his jeans off him like a cook on an
onion.  He was screaming bloody murder and dancing all over the carport like
his feet were on fire.  He was trying to get the trigger lock off as it
started at his cuff and was slowly working its way toward the "nether
regions."  He was screaming and dancing and I was paralyzed with fear, joy
and utter amazement all at once.  In that one millisecond, God had turned
the tide and time and I was getting my revenge.  All those years of ass
whoopins I had received by his hand,  all those ass whoopins I had received
by my father where Steve had convinced him I was the one that did whatever
Steve got away with, ahhhhh yes, fate was smiling now, no not just smiling,
laughing out loud!  Well I wanted to help him, but I was frozen with fear
and then I was on my back laughing so hard I could not breathe!

  When I finally regained my breath and composure, there stood my older
brother drill in hand, jeans completely torn off, and a big red stripe up
his leg, ankle to ass, ending where the sun don't shine!  Boys and girls, it
don't get no better than that!  If you ever see me and I ain't smiling, it's
a rare sight and I can tell you why.  Some folks are never happy about the
past, or what might have been, but me, I had a great child hood.  And the
day the Black and Decker drill ate the pants off my brother Steve, it's just
one tooth on the cog that made life with Steve a never ending adventure.  No
kidding, it's good to be me!  Stay tuned, who knows what will trigger yet
another "memory with Steve!!!!!"

MR