[SEL] A Lesson in how to bid on eBay. NOT.

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sun Jan 13 15:00:02 PST 2008

Arnie,
    I've seen people do that before.   A person will have a good bid of
$50 on an item.  Another person bids and they set their max at $200.
Then the person who had the $50 bid, bids $54, he's not the high bid so
he then bids $56, he's not the high bid so he then bids $58, etc, etc.
Some people try to treat ebay like its a live auction, if you bid $50,
I'll bid $52.  While the principle is the same with ebay, the symantics
of how its done is so much different.  If they put in their best bid at
the beginning, there would be 10 bids instead of 100.  But, I've done
the same thing at live auctions.  I want an item but I'm not going to
give over $500 for it.  When bidding gets to $500, I go on and bid
$525.  When it gets to $550, I go on and bid $575.  I end up getting it
for $200 more than I intended to pay.  It makes life fun and the wife happy!

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY