[SEL] O.T. Attn. Peter Forbes

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:23:11 PST 2008

On 11/01/2008, Jerry Evans <jerrye at databak.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>          I saw your post about the NEC Floppy drive and looked through all
> my manuals and literature but had nothing left on the NEC.
>
>          Do you collect this kind of stuff?  I have a "Brand New" "never
> been used" Roctec external 5 1/4 floppy drive in it's original packing if
> you are interested. You can have it for the cost of postage if you can use
> it.  It is packed in a polystyrene moulded shell and this is in turn packed
> into a cardboard "sleeve" - the final size (of the box) is 365mm x 305mm x
> 125mm which is quite big so postage could be a few bucks.
>
>          Basically this is a Mitsumi Floppy Drive (1.2 Mb) built into an
> external case with all the necessary connectors, cables and instruction
> leaflet. It has never been used and I only opened it a few hours ago to
> determine the make of the actual drive (Mitsumi).
>
>          It is about 14 years old and I've been holding on to it in case I
> wanted anything off my old "stiffies" but I've never used it and feel that
> if I've not wanted to get anything off an old stiffy backup in that time
> then I'm probably never going to!
>
>          If you need pics then I can take some.
>
>          Note to list members: I've offered this to Peter Forbes first but
> if he does not need it then the offer is open to all members.
>
> Keep the revs up (or down)
> Jerry Evans

Hi Jerry:

Many thanks for the offer, it would be great if we were closer, but
the freight costs would kill it for me, and we only need the drive, so
it would be a shame to break it up.

If Clint wants it, let him have it with my blessing.

As far as the NEC drive goes, we have turned up almost nothing
conclusive, and the supplier has agreed to let us have another drive
anyway to replace it.

What did turn up, was a large set of data from what looks like IBM,
called the "Pocket Peripherals Guide" which lists all the different
makes of hard drives, floppy disks, tape drives, CD players etc etc
with appropriate jumper and connection information.

NEC aren't on there, at least my drive wasn't, but it's useful stuff
and I'll archive it for the future. HDD's go up to 1gb and MCA
architecture is mentioned, so it's probably 1990's stuff.

Thanks again for the kind offer,

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes