[SEL] Totally off topic-just a "rant"

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:17:25 PST 2008

On 11/01/2008, Jerry Evans <jerrye at databak.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>          This is a really off topic post but what the heck.
>
>          I've had a really s___t week and just feel like spreading the load
> amongst my mates.

Sh*t happens!

Couple of things you can do, get an ex-corporate PC, set it up with a
wireless router and use it as a backup, every day.

I can ship you some Compag EN SFF desktops at under £50 plus shipping
each, not high speed (733mhz to 1ghz) but very reliable. They are on
ebay as well, look for "Compaq EN SFF", they are 1998 - 2001
manufacture.

Spread your work stuff amongst more than one machine (I know, they are
not cheap in SA)   and think about a mains isolation transformer with
an RCD/MCB  on both sides and a BIG earth connection to the
transformer frame and inter-winding screen, and if you have the
secondary centre-tapped, ground the centre tap with something like a
copper bar.

A 10kVA tranny and MCB/RCD's will stop 'almost' anything, but you'll
lose the MCB/RCD.s in a bad strike.

Surge suppressors are pretty ineffective in my experience, unless you
have the 4" cube sized ones, and they blow up spectacularly when
lightning strikes anyway :-))

Provide a spark-gap to ground on your incoming supply if the utility
doesn't have one, and fit them to BOTH supply conductors.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com