[SEL] babbitt grades

JIM KIRKES jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 16:31:15 PST 2008

Heating and reheating does not hurt a bit.  The problem
comes when it gets too hot and lots of dross forms, most of
this is tin and the combination of heat and skimming can
over time alter the alloy.  At one time we greatly reduced
this from happening by using soldering oil in wave soldering
machines.  Works pretty good and solves the problem but gets
another one.  Over time some of the oil will char and
eventually begin to deposit on the circuit board being
soldered.  The only way to fix this is to drain the pot and
scrape it clean.  Soldering oil also requires a solvent
cleaning process which has so many environmental problems
almost nobody does it now. By the way I am talking about
soldering printed circuit boards.  Solder is not a whole lot
different that babbit so I think the comparison applies.

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, California U.S.A.
replace nomore with net to send mail
jd.kirkes at verizon.nomore