[SEL] babbitt grades

Paul + Colleen Gray pcgray at zoominternet.net
Tue Jan 8 13:17:47 PST 2008

Peter-

Babbitt is graded these days as ASTM-1, 2 and so on
                  % Sn  % Sb  % Cu  % Pb Applications
ASTM-1     93  3.5  3.5 - Light and medium IC engine big end bearings
ASTM-2     88   6     6 - Light and medium IC engine main bearings

I have been using ASTM-2 for about 10 years now and am having good
luck with it. I stay away from the stuff with lead in it; personal
preference and melting the lead. The ASTM pours at ~750-830F.  The
Ford babbitt  used in model Ts was ASTM1.

The big thing is in preheating the mold area. I use a propane weed
torch and one of those pocket infrared thermometers. I preheat to
~300F before I pour. This gives a nice "grip" of the surrounding metal
on the bearing. The ASTM grade spots/scrapes in nicely - you can use a
parting tool to scrape it in and form the radii. I buy mine from A1
babbitt in Denora PA and the last time I bought it, it was 6-7 bucks a
pound with postage to US as I recall. The alloy turns nicely and bores
well.  I use carbide and HSS tools to machine. I have cast several
bearings on ARACO and Myrick verticals "en'bloc" using a smoked alum
mandrel oversized for 3-5 thou running clearance. The trick is to
preheat the mandrel /crankcase, cast the bearing and then wrap a wet
rag around the alum mandrel. This causes the mandrel to be tapped out
easily forming a nice bearing. If you do not preheat/chill the
mandrel, it can be a bugger to push out. The alum mandrel has a higher
expansion than the block so it will contract more.

I do not trust the old bearing materials- I use new stuff and save the
melted out stuff for casting into cart wheels to make bearings. If I
am going to all the trouble, then why not do the best I can......

you can contact me off list if you want pix or more info-

All the best-

Paul