[SEL] On Topic IHC Famous Engine

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 15:54:05 PST 2008

After looking for a 2 hp Famous engine for the past 5 years, I found one in
time for Christmas that I could afford. It has had a rough past in that a
previous owner started to restore it, but unfortunately he ran out of
interest/money/health. A long story short, the person that I bought it  from purchased
it in a bushel basket at an executors sale. Other  than a few missing nuts,
bolts, tanks and plumbing the bushel basket  appears to contain enough repairable
parts to assemble an operational engine. As  with most vertical Famous
engines the cylinder jug and water pump bracket have  been brazed or welded and it
had been repainted with a broom. To  date, I have removed the old paint,
removed broken-off bolts and pipe  fittings and fabricated a number of bolts and
studs. Fortunately for me I  have a Starbolt reprint of the I.H.C. "Directions
for the Vertical Tank-Cooled  Gasoline Engines" which shows many details and
part numbers for the engine  some of which are confusing because one poor quality
picture/drawing contradicts  another. I suppose what I may be seeing is the
differences between the 4  different engines covered in the reprint. I wonder
if I could get  input from the List members as to where I can get additional
detailed  information ( web site?) for my 1908 vintage 2 hp vertical screen
cooled Famous.
The only awshit I have found to date is an old repair on the lower crank  pin
box. It appears that at some time the shims were removed and the rod bolts
were tightened to the point that the lower journal fractured as it was  drawn
around the crankshaft. The break was brazed and refitted to the  crankshaft
with babbitt. I repoured the babbitt and scraped the box to fit. What  do you
think is this a good repair, or should I try to find a replacement  crank pin box
#GB1060.
Thank you for any help;

Tom Bellar SW  Ohio