[SEL] OT ....DVD

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Fri Jan 4 02:23:32 PST 2008

Hi Peter, I realise you've already had a few answers on this but here
are a couple more :)

Most USA bought equipment cannot play PAL - the TV and DVD usually are
unable to do it. Some DVD players (generally the cheaper ones) will
convert from PAL to NTSC without the user even knowing they're doing it.
This means a disk sent from Australia (ignoring the region) will be
unlikely to play. However, generally Aus (and just about anywhere else
on the planet) will play most popular video formats so you can bring an
NTSC DVD from the USA and it will play here (I have heaps).

You will get less problems with cheaper players - the expensive ones
(e.g. Sony) subscribe to the licensing scheme and are still steadfastly
ignoring the market demands in the interests of controlling their own
products (Sony make movies too).

Now onto the good news, portable DVD players (the kind with an inbuilt
screen) generally play any video format and any region - I dare say this
is to market them to travellers. Give one of them a try. You can usually
connect them to a normal TV.

Of course, one final point... there are three principal DVD formats -
standard (everything should play these), and the two High Definition
"Blue Ray" and "Hi Def". These two HD formats are utterly incompatible
and to date I've not seen a single player that will take on both. I have
a HD TV but refuse to buy a HD DVD player to go with it until there is a
player than handles both formats. Remember Beta and VHS? Here we go
again. The worst thing about the HD players is that it isnt just your
DVD player that decides if you are "allowed" to watch something - when
connected via an HDMI input the bloody TV has a say too! Fortunately for
me I've got an Hitachi which will pretend to be in any location you tell
it.

Regards
Paul