[SEL] What did my son drag home

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Thu Jan 3 15:02:15 PST 2008

My Ottawa 4hp has a bent crank on the flywheel side and it doesn't seem
to bother the engine. There is a noticeable wobble in the flywheel and
if the engine's skids arn't pegged down then it tends to go around in
circles! The flywheel is straight (I wouldn't run it otherwise).

It partly cured itself a couple of years or so ago when I was showing it
a Lake Goldsmith at Beaufort in Victoria. That part cure has a sad side
to it though - I showed another exhibitor how to shut it down and asked
him to keep an eye on it while I wandered the show (as I had done for
him earlier that day). When I got back it was lieing on its side going
around and around in circles. The guy who has supposed to be looking
after it was nowhere to be seen. Others said it oversped then fell over
before they figured out how to kill it. It kept going until it broke the
magneto trip arm then all quiet. I've made a new trip arm for it, but I
have not showed it again. Not until I get time to get it onto a proper
cart with wide enough stance to not fall over. The current skids are
just too narrow.

Paul