[SEL] More good news/Update

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Feb 22 16:18:31 PST 2008

Hi All,
         I just updated the page on the steam engine with more detailed
pics and also showing some dimensions.
         Last night I oiled and cleaned all the moving parts and it is now
all loose and turning freely (not that it was stuck but I just thought that
it would be best to lubricate everything and get it running smoothly
without applying any force - us South Africans do seem to have the habit of
using brawn before brain :-)).
         I took the bottom plate off the box today and removed the burner
and inspected the  flexible drive to the flyball governor. Also managed to
work out how the pump system for adding water to the boiler works.

         This engine seems very well designed and looks like it will run
with minimum attention for quite a long time with it's water pump that
refills the boiler as it's running.

         There are still quite a few parts that I do not know anything
about (yet) but I'm meeting with a friend tomorrow who is a steam "fundi"
so do expect that I will learn a lot.

         For the sake of people who looked at the page yesterday - the
links (thumbnails) that have just been added or updated are those with a
green background.

<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/steam/index.htm>

         Not that I would ever sell it but how about some estimates as to
the value of something like this. I searched eBay last night and although
there are many steam models on offer, they are mostly commercially produced
and I never saw anything as intricate or detailed as this one. It would be
nice to have some idea of value.

P.S. I know these lists are primarily concerned with Internal Combustion
engines and hope that you don't mind me posting about a  model steam
engine. It is, after all, a "Stationary Engine" or "Old Engine" and sure
beats discussing beetles and stick bugs (Yes, I know that I started that
thread - bummer).

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm