[SEL] More good news

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Feb 22 13:41:17 PST 2008

At 07:00 PM 22/02/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 4
>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:53:01 -0500
>From: Denis Rouleau <buzzcoil2 at videotron.ca>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] More good news
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Real nice!!! How small is it?
>Denis Rouleau

Hi Denis,
         Question should read "How big is it ?" (smile)

         I'll put a dimensioned  pic on the page (maybe later tonight) and
post to the list but for now here are a few basic sizes (in metric):

         The wooden base is 570mm (w) X 320mm (d) X 150mm(h).
         The top of the "smokestack" is 370mm high (excluding the 150 mm
(h) wooden base).
         The flywheel diameter is 150mm (6").

         I spent some time last night oiling (aerosol penetrating fluid)
all the moving parts as I did not want to try turning anything "over" and
possibly forcing something that did not want to be forced :-)

         Everything is now loose except for the drain tap (valve ?) on the
boiler. The whole engine turns very easily now as do all the other "valves".

         Earlier this evening I removed the bottom of the wooden base and
took out the paraffin (kerosene) heating unit. It consists of 2 (linked)
heavy brass tubes approx. 390mm long X 55mm diameter. This unit just lies
loose in the base and has a "Primus" type burner which locates below the
boiler tubes. It is a "homemade" unit and the actual burner unit looks like
it was stripped off a "Primus" stove. The 2 tubes replace the  "paraffin
storage tank" on a normal "Primus" stove and incorporate a "filler tube"
and a pressure release jet similar to what was fitted to a "Primus" (or old
brass blowlamp).

         Something that I found to be very innovative was that it did not
incorporate the normal "Primus" type pressure pump. Instead, it has a
bicycle tube valve brazed into place and would have been pumped to pressure
with an ordinary bicycle pump and connection tube.

         Once I had the base off I also discovered that the flyball
governor is driven via a flexible shaft from a gear on the outrigger side
of the flywheel. All very sturdily constructed and encased in a brass
tube.        There are also a few drain cocks hidden in the wooden base.

         I'll add more pics to the page a bit later tonight and let the
lists know.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm