[SEL] Compressed Air Car? -- OT

brent brent.tamatea at clear.net.nz
Fri Feb 15 19:55:59 PST 2008

Francis thats interesting i have a very old book late 1890s and they were
using compressed air drills when mining the reason was that they did the
same work as steam and also provided air for the workers esp where the air
was foul reduced risk of explotions powered up by steam engines back then in
the book it shows the picture of the machine that was to be used to drill
the tunnel for the english channel it mentions it could run on steam or if
that wasnt suitable then compressed air  some the earliest shearing
handpieces i think early 1800s were powered by air , saw one a collector had
and it was powered by a hand bellows and worked extremely well same
principle as air tools.brent