[SEL] OT : Unknown Chain Drive Car circa 1916

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Thu Feb 14 15:28:51 PST 2008

Al:

The first photo is of an American LaFrance racer in progress.  It is a six cylinder!  Geared right, that hunk of old iron should really move!

The car in the movie is like I originally intended to make my American LaFrance racer but I decided I wanted to drive it more than I wanted to fiddle with making it absolutely correct.

One thing about the movie....I wonder if the guy broke many crankshafts winding it up like that?  He must have been pushing 2,500 RPM!  I had a tach on mine and rarely ever let it go past 1,700 RPM.  With a 5-1/2 bore and 6-1/2 stroke and no balancing, it would set teeth on edge at that speed.  Made your ears ring, too!  Of course, at 1700 RPM, it was going somewhere around 80 mph!  That alone was enough to keep your attention!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/