[SEL] spyware OT

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:06:07 PST 2008

On 02/02/2008, Rob Skinner <rskinner at rustyiron.com> wrote:

> I don't use anti-virus or anti-spyware software.  I get along just fine.
> Get rid of that crud.  It just slows down your computer.
>
> Rob

A lot depends on where you go on the net and what kind of firewall you
have in your modem.

We've been running a trial on our machines to see what effect NOT
having AV and Spyware  software has on the system.

So far, the Anti-Virus hasn't been missed at all, but the anti-spyware
does seem to collect the odd bits and pieces, particularly in the
Registry.

We use a 2Wire 2700HGV business modem at home and the factory, and
that has got a decent firewall. Before that we used Zone Alarm Pro.

The problem is that too many cooks spoil the system, and we found that
a couple of these programmes were fighting for system resources and
completely screwed up the start-up in the morning, which could take up
to 5 minutes.

Once removed, we have a 40-second startup, and we kept the Registry Cleaner.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com