[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive.

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 19:10:24 PST 2008

Hi Bruce!
      I had both the Saginaw 3 speed with the Borg overdrive and the
free-wheeling equipped 32 Chevy. The Saginaw was from a 67 Chevelle and I
put it in a 66 GTO with 389 and tripower. It not only took the abuse of a
power crazed teenager and held up, it also wound the speedometer around to
the pin on more than one occasion, and considering the suspension
limitations of the 66 Goat, it's a wonder I made it to adulthood. As for the
32 Chevrolet, whoever thought up the combo of free-wheeling and mechanical
brakes was surely a flat-lander, as driving it in upstate New York was akin
to a suicide mission. On long hills, it liked to put itself into
freewheeling. This only happened to me once and I wired that thing out with
baling wire on the arm and never used it again.
     I'd love to have either of those cars back again, but I couldn't afford
them at today's prices! Thanks for the memories and good luck with yours!-
Jim Mackessy