[SEL] ATIS Charity Auction/Brass plates

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Dec 27 14:22:17 PST 2008

Hi Guys,
         I've changed the listing now - same items - same conditions etc. I
just "spruced it up" a bit with some HTML.

         It's been up for at least 2 hours now - no "views", no "bids". Did
I make a mistake? I thought that some of you guys wanted me to put it up?
(smile).

         Someone mentioned that "we did not publicise it enough". I agree.
I joined in on the fun of the "Charity Auction" in 2006 (I think) which was
when I first offered a few plates. I remember that, at that time, the
auction was mentioned on the lists from about October or November. My
personal feeling was "Hey! what a great idea - I'd love to be involved".
Last year it was a bit later. This year it was only now (late December).
         Also, in the first year (of my involvement), I remember list mail
after the auction that discussed what the "proceeds" would be used for,
last year - nothing - or did I miss it? (I seldom miss "SEL mail"). I do
not give a damn as to where the proceeds go and prefer to leave that to the
"administrators" - so long as it is a deserving cause (and preferably
within the "old engine fraternity"). It just gives me that "warm fuzzy
feeling" that I could contribute.

         I think that the "Charity Auction" is a great idea - it costs me
very little to be involved, or to offer something to scrape in a few bucks
which could be used for a good cause at this time of the year.
         What the heck, I even bought a Maytag on the auction and I love it
to bits and it also gave me that "warm fuzzy feeling". (Thanks Dave!)

         You guy's in the "States" must have many items that you could
offer on the auction (as I have but shipping would be a major cost from
here). So I offer small things that are quite unique and I can offer to pay
the postage. Once again, it does not cost me a lot to get involved but it
does provide me with a lot of pleasure to know that I am helping. (That
"warm fuzzy feeling" again).

         "tis the season for giving" so get with the programme.

         On another tack, the first year that I offered "plates", I think
that my offerings were the single biggest "earner" on the auction (with the
possible exception of the Maytag that Dave offered and I bought) and last
year my plates and the "blue fencing pliers" brought in more revenue than
all the other offerings combined (I did not offer the legendary "Blue
pliers"). It gave me a lot of pleasure to know that I could contribute to
something worthwhile and run by many friends (you guys - O.K. maybe run by
Spencer) who have helped me so much and have become such good friends even
though I've actually never met you.

         Come on guys - lets try to make the "Charity Auction" fun again.
You've each gotta have a little thing there somewhere that you do not need
and it does not "owe you anything". Maybe someone else could use it and the
cash could help someone else. We could also have a lot of fun bidding on it
- and do not forget the "warm fuzzy feeling"

         That's my bit for tonight! I only get the "Digest" version of the
SEL so now have to wait 24 hours to read the replies to this mail. I really
hope that it has the desired effect of seeing a lot more "items" offered on
the "Charity Auction" site. They do not have to be "Big" things as
mentioned - look through your sheds - there are bound to be many things
that are too good to throw away but you've been holding on to for years but
have no use for (we all have stuff like this).
Keep well

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>