[SEL] Trailer Deck Engine Blocking

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 01:33:11 PST 2008

On 20/12/2008, fero_ah at city-net.com <fero_ah at city-net.com> wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I had exactly the opposite experience.  I started using the square drive
> screws
> and had two problems.  One, the screw heads stripped out, and two if you
> rounded or lost the square drive bit, you were screwed.  EVERYONE has the
> Phillips bits and can loan you one in a pinch.
>
> There are two keys to using the Phillips deck screws.  Buy top quality
> screws
> (they strip out less often) and really press down to get good contact while
> you're driving the screws.  And one more thing, I just don't reuse the
> screws.
> Sure it's wasteful, but the hassle of a stripped screw head far outweighs
> the
> price of a box of screws.
>
> See ya,  Arnie

We started screwing down the 1" ply last evening, using 5 X 50 (just
over 3/16" X 2") CSK self-drill screws with Pozi/Philips heads. No
problems at all, each box of 200 screws comes with a new driver bit,
so no excuse for worn bits, that goes for all the sizes of screws.

We have a little Hitachi cordless drill that we bought last year, $100
or so including a bit set with the drill, a separate comprehensive bit
set and three batteries. Great little tool, probably no good for
preofessional use but OK for what we are doing.

Just laying out the shower and sanitary stuff on the floor this
morning, so we can get the waste and water pipes laid down.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com