[SEL] OTnow homebuilding - now nails rulez

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 21:16:19 PST 2008

That video really doesn't prove much Al, not trying to pick a fight.
Sheetrock screws are designed for sheetrock into lumber, thats it.  Using
them for anything else and they can and will shear easily.  When watching
that video, the man hit the construction screw in the threaded area.  Yes
it will shear easily there.  That is why you buy construction screws with a
shank that will allow the threads to completly embed in the receiving
lumber and not between the two peices being joined.  The shank will have
greater shear strength then the threaded part.  Nails are also (most of
them) made of softer metal so they will bend or pull before shearing.  You
can take a ring shank nail of a 60D size, that's a hell of a lot bigger
around than a 16D, and shear it in half with just 2 hits of a 22 oz hammer
if the ring part of the nail is not completly embelded in the lumber.  So
there is a large nail that is no better than a smaller screw when not used
properly.  With the proper screw being used, you can put something together
a lot tighter and stronger than you can using nails but you will also pay
for it in the cost of the screws and the time it takes to insert them.

Tim Christoff
Basehor Kansas

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/967794/shear_strength_of_nails_drywall_screws_
amp_construction_screw/