[SEL] OT////// AM transmitter

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Thu Dec 18 14:46:42 PST 2008

Chuck:

Your friend may want to call around to outfits advertising Broadcast Engineering Services in the yellow pages.

He could also call around local radio stations.  Some of them seem to keep their retired transmitters around 'til they need to make room for something else.

If all else fails, I could call a friend in Indiana who has been maintaining radio stations for years.  He may have something in his warehouse......depending on what is needed.

Remember that most broadcast AM transmitters (550kHz to 1710kHz) are pretty big, even the old 500 Watters.  When you get into the bigger tube (valve) rigs (5kW or better), they get really big, running to five or more rack bays and several tons.

I suppose he knows that he has to have a license to operate one........  The FCC takes a rather dim view of outlaw stations.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand