[SEL] Japanese engines

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Tue Dec 16 22:23:26 PST 2008

> That has intrigued me as well  . I always figured they were gathered
> up for
> the metal. Along with every last washer and cotter pin they could
> find .

Chuck-san,
Surely, there must be SOME really old Japanese iron laying about,
under a collapsed barn or half buried in a creek.  We Gaijin are
taught in school that the pre-WWII Japanese were nothing better than
feudalistic ox drivers, but that's just western propaganda.

This morning I was reading an article, written in 1909, about the
Japanese coal, iron, steel and shipbuilding industries.  I'm no expert
and don't care to look up numbers, but I would wager that the Japanese
industrial capacity in 1909 surpassed the industrial capacity of 90%
of the worlds countries in 2008.

Young-san, you mentioned a bloke who is your Chuck Wendel.  Is there a
book available, one with a few pictures, for those of us who don't
care to learn another language?

Rob