[SEL] Electrolysis query

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Dec 12 18:06:29 PST 2008

On Dec 12, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Brian Watts wrote:

> BlankHi List Guys,
> Need to know if Whitemetal corrodes if placed in Electrolysis, we
> have a stuck sideshaft that has whitemetal bushes so can`t use much
> heat.
>
> David Watts (03) 87616332
> damewatt at bigpond.com
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/briwat

It will work fine, as long as you don't hook up the polarity backwards.

Just remember back to high school chemistry.  Your metal oxide
molecules are composed of the metal, which is positively charged, and
oxygen, which is negatively charged.  Hook up your work to the
negative side, and the electricity will blast off the oxygen (like
charges repel) and leave the base metal alone.