[SEL] SAE origins please

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Fri Dec 12 02:56:05 PST 2008

Peter, Society of Automotive Engineers threads [ SAE]. Identical thread form
to the American National Standard Thread. They were developed in a wide
range of sizes and fits by the Association of Liceneced Automobile
Manufacturers[A.L.A.M.] to the recomended standards of 1906.These covered
threads of 1/4 to 3/4 with 28 to 16 threads per inch.The ALAM standard was
adopted and extended to 1 1/2 Inch in 1911by the SAE as the S.A.E. Screw
Standard.In 1915 this was again extended and refered to as the S.A.E. Coarse
Series.In 1918 the SAE Fine series was extended downward from 1 1/2 to1/4
inch mainly for aeronautical use
The presentCoarse[NC]Serieswas the formerAmerican National Standard.

There is a hellof a lot more about this thread ,hope this explains it.