[SEL] ArrrGGhhh! I'm back after 6 years lurking - re: FMZ gears

Graham Harris ozengine at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 3 17:59:57 PST 2008

Dammit 6 years of lurking ends just like that...I can't even remember how to post!

Al Harris, I went down to my shed and counted the helical teeth remains on my ZAA gears for yer. All 3 are rooted but countable - 48 timing, 24 pinion, 11 governor.

Now to fix my Z, I'd have to find 3 helical gears pretty well inmpossible so will be replacing with straight cut gears because my FMZ S/N is right near the change back to straight cut gears (1925). It's a rotary mag and therefor all I'd have to find/make is a 12 tooth governor gear which is 1.2" + 100 thou diameter for 12 teeth 10pitch. 25-50 tooth 10 pitch gears are pretty common for 1-1/2 HP engines, machining work needed though. 25-50-12 in straight cut keeps the correct centre distances.

By the way - could we be related?

Graham Harris, Melb, Oz

From: Al Harris <al.harris at rustic-engines.com>
Subject: Re: [SEL] FMZ Gear and Timing questions.

You must remember, I was more confused by the fact that my crankshaft
gear has 24 teeth on it. So I was trying to count 48 teeth on the
straight cut gear in the picture. :-(

Cheers,

Al

It's cleared my vision though, thanks fellas. ;-)

The sad part is that a 48 tooth diagonally cut FMZ cam gear has not come
into sight. :-(

      Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline