[SEL] SEL Off Topic Discussion - Postal Codes

Judge Tommy Turner Lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Aug 30 17:18:29 PDT 2008

We do have a postal (ZIP) code assigned to us but aren't required to use it
(most everyone does though).  The 4 places mentioned are the only ones in
the US that even if a person fails to place the zip code, the mail must
still be delivered to them.  If I were to mail a letter to a friend in
Chicago and left off the zip code, the post office would return it to me
claiming it had an improper address.  However, if that friend sends me one
and leaves off the zip code, it has to be delivered as a zip code isn't
required for me.  Its better to use it though as if a zip code isn't used,
the letter isn't machine sorted and has to be hand sorted.  I haven't tried
before but I wonder what UPS, FedEx, etc would do if someone tried to send
me something and when asked for a zip code they were told I didn't have to
have one.  There would be some eyebrows raised I'm sure.

There is some question as to why of all the thousands of post offices in the
US, we're one of only 4 that don't have to use a zip code.  One story is
that its due to the historic significance of the Lincoln Birthplace located
here.  However, another story may be the real reason.  When zip codes came
into being, a gent from our town (one of my relatives in fact) was a member
of Congress and chaired the committee that created them.  He also happened
to be the former postmaster and he hated the idea of having to place a zip
code on letters for his hometown.  Makes sense as its certainly an example
of our how our US Government works!

Tommy Turner