[SEL] Unusual engine

Johnson, Greg gjohnson at ndii.com
Mon Aug 11 10:31:11 PDT 2008

Hi Jerry,

I think this engine is a Hardy and Padmore made in the UK.  The date is probably not far off.  I had an engine very much like this but with a straight spoke flywheel.  Mine was hot tube and natural or town gas.  The carburetor looks to be home made along with gas tank support.  The valve mechanism with chain driven camshaft is identical to what mine had.  The governor was a small inertia pick blade operating the gas valve (missing on this engine).  My enigne had an overhung crankshaft so the base was very different. The engine is shown in "The A to Z of British Engines" book.

Greg Johnson