[SEL] Babbitt lapping compound

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Apr 5 15:05:49 PDT 2008

Carl,
    Two ways to do it.  One is to simply put the caps in the mill and
mill a straight groove  with the edge of the endmill parallel to the
jounal.  The other is simply to  take a die grinder with a carbide
tipped cutter and "X" from the oil hole.  I usually mill the groove as
it takes about 5 minutes to set it up and mill it.  I never put it very
deep, probably 1/32 of an inch or so.  Just enough that the oil can seep
into the groove and make contact with the bearing surface.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY