[SEL] Babbitt lapping compound

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Thu Apr 3 16:00:16 PDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:28 AM, William Young wrote:
> Answer:  I think scraping takes skill & experience, neither of which
> I have.

Skill?  Experience?  Trust me, Wakai-san, neither of those are required.

JB suggests using an old piston ring.  He knows a thing or two about
engines, so listen when he types.  I've used an old hacksaw blade, but
you can use any hunk of metal that you can sharpen into a shap
convenient for scraping.

The babbitt doesn't cut so easily that you have to worry about
accidentally ruining the job if you hiccup.  If you're capable of
shaving your face without ending up with a sink full of blood, you can
shave babbitt.

I've been working out of the same quart of Starrett layout dye that
I've had for the last 25 years, but you can probaby substitute any
kind of coloring that will transfer between the surfaces.

Party on,
ロブスキナー