[SEL] Babbitt lapping compound

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Tue Apr 1 07:36:14 PDT 2008

Years ago, I scraped-in the mains on an American LaFrance 4-cylinder engine and used an old half-round file that I'd polished-up with a belt sander.  I've still got it and it is SHARP as I've found when not being careful about handling it.

I've used the lapping compound after scraping bearings for a semi-fit.  It works fine but I don't buy their statement that you don't have to clean it out of a bearing.  Except for fitting parts, I always wash out the gritty stuff.

Take care - Elden