[SEL] Nickel Plating .....small items at home.

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 30 06:50:14 PDT 2007

I saw that Clint and regretted sending the notice out.Some of the groups
have instant approval and some I have subscribed to have actually taken a
couple of days to get approved. I assume this is because the moderator does
not monitor the site all of the time.

Clint I surfed through some of the links and pictures but did not find any
instructions for building a simple basic system for nickel or chrome. Is
there somewhere on the site that gives basic instructions as to what
combinations of chemicals, their volumes needed, current requirements, anode
and cathode bars needed, etc.,  to have a small plating system say in
buckets or something similar. This info may be on your site and I just did
not see it.

I worked for 35 years at a manufacturing plant and the plating guy and I
were good friends as well as I worked on his plating tanks a lot and I know
that on nickel plating the part went though a reverse current cleaning tank
that I think had phosphoric acid in it, then through a rinse thank and then
through a nickel bath tank that had electrodes on it. These were large 400
gallons bath. I think I remember about five or six tanks in the process.

I just want a little small system for plating a few small parts for the
beginning.

Thanks for all of the help.

Paul