[SEL] Corn-gas a BUST!

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Thu Sep 27 07:22:13 PDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 8:10 PM, JIM KIRKES wrote:

> Sugar cane has a much higher yield than corn and so gets a
> better deal for the consumer.  Corn is a loser sugar cane
> just might come out ahead.

Except, Jim, that sugar cane is artificially and prohibitively
expensive in the United States.  In an act of FARMER WELFARE,
Congress has placed quotas and tariffs on sugar, driving the prices
through the roof.

Should we trade at all
By Walter E. Williams
Wednesday, October 25, 2006

There are only a handful of products that Americans import that
cannot be produced at home and therefore create jobs for Americans.
Let's look at a few of them.

We import cocoa from Ghana and coffee from African and Latin American
countries. We import saffron from Spain and India and cinnamon from
Sri Lanka. In fact, India produces 86 percent of the world tonnage of
spices. There's absolutely no reason these products cannot be
produced by Americans, and we could be cocoa, coffee and spices
independent.

You say, "Williams, that's crazy! We don't have the climate and soil
conditions to produce those products. Many spices, for example,
require a moist tropical environment." No problem. We have the
technology whereby we can simulate both the soil and weather
conditions. We could build greenhouses in which to grow cinnamon
trees and get our scientists to create the same soil conditions that
exist in Sri Lanka. Greenhouses could also be built to simulate the
climate conditions in Africa and Latin America to grow cocoa and
coffee. In the case of cocoa, the greenhouses would have to be
Superdome size to accommodate trees as high as 50 feet.

You say, "Williams, that's still crazy! Imagine the high costs and
the higher product prices of your crazy scheme." I say, "Aha, you're
getting the picture."

There are several nearly self-evident factors about our being cocoa,
coffee and spices independent. Without a doubt, there would be job
creation in our cocoa, coffee and spices industries, but consumers
would pay a much higher price than they currently do. Therefore,
nearly 300 million American consumers would be worse off, having to
pay those higher prices or doing without, but those with the new jobs
would be better off.

So let's be honest with ourselves. Why do we choose to import cocoa,
coffee and spices rather than produce them ourselves? The answer is
that it is cheaper to do so. That means we enjoy a higher standard of
living than if we tried to produce them ourselves. If we can enjoy,
say, coffee, at a cheaper price than producing it ourselves, we have
more money left over to buy other goods. That principle not only
applies to cocoa, coffee and spices. It's a general principle: If a
good can be purchased more cheaply abroad, we enjoy a higher standard
of living by trading than we would by producing it ourselves.

No one denies that international trade has unpleasant consequences
for some workers. They have to find other jobs that might not pay as
much, but should we protect those jobs through trade restrictions?
The Washington-based Institute for International Economics has
assembled data that might help with the answer. Tariffs and quotas on
imported sugar saved 2,261 jobs during the 1990s. As a result of
those restrictions, the average household pays $21 more per year for
sugar. The total cost, nationally, sums to $826,000 for each job
saved. Trade restrictions on luggage saved 226 jobs and cost
consumers $1.2 million in higher prices for each job saved.
Restrictions on apparel and textiles saved 168,786 jobs at a cost of
nearly $200,000 for each job saved.

You might wonder how it is possible for, say, the sugar industry to
rip off consumers. After all, consumers are far more numerous than
sugar workers and sugar bosses. It's easy. A lot is at stake for
those in the sugar industry, workers and bosses. They dedicate huge
resources to pressure Congress into enacting trade restrictions. But
how many of us consumers will devote the same resources to unseat a
congressman who voted for sugar restrictions that forced us to pay
$21 more for the sugar our family uses? It's the problem of visible
beneficiaries of trade restrictions, sugar workers and bosses,
gaining at the expense of invisible victims -- sugar consumers. We
might think of it as congressional price-gouging.