[SEL] Corn-gas a BUST!

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Wed Sep 26 19:31:58 PDT 2007

You ever driven across the USA and see how much corn you guys produce. All
we saw for days and days was corn when we drove across in 1999 and 2003.
We use sugar cane here for ethanol.
My car uses 10% ethanol 90% unleaded and runs fine.

The Pajero TR4 Flex, featuring a 2.0-liter engine capable on running on
blends from 100% gasoline to 100% ethanol, was launched in July of this
year.

>From Brazil:
Brazil produced 4 billion gallons of ethanol in 2004, some 37 percent of the
world total, while the U.S. churned out 3.4 billion gallons, 31 percent of
the world's share. The country also exported 634 million gallons -- 112
million of that to the U.S. -- and its government is pushing to clear more
land for production. Its vast size and tropical climate are perfect for the
production of sugar cane, which is said to have better energy conversion
rates than corn, the primary source for ethanol in the U.S. What's more,
Brazilian producers burn cellulosic stalk of sugar cane to make energy that
fuels the entire industrial process. That is why their production costs are
half that of corn.

I guess the downfall here is we lose our rainforests.

Ain't Politics grand

Peter, Oz