[SEL] Corn-gas a BUST!

JR504 at aol.com JR504 at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 19:27:30 PDT 2007

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, which I am not, this is
nothing more than a mouthpiece article for big oil, taking a shot at
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels.  This is very old news and written in a  way to make
it sound like something that it's not.  The emissions that  they're referring
to is NOx emissions (NO, NO2, NO3) that is formed under high  combustion
chamber temps.  The tiny increases that you normally see with  Biodiesel (from
100ppm to 102ppm on my car during cruise) can very easily be  compensated for by
increasing EGR gasses, or retarding injection timing by  a degree (1.5 degrees
on my '99 VW TDI).  For a long time these increases  were disputed because
they are small enough to be camouflaged by normal margins  of error in
dynomometer testing.  The latest Diesels have catalysts that  virtually eliminate NOx
emissions out the tailpipe, so the 2% increase out of  the combustion chamber
doesn't mean anything.  Tailpipe emissions between  the 2 fuels on engines
equipped with modern exhaust systems is identical, at  least in terms of NOx.  Soot
is much lower with Biodiesel.

Joe Rappa
Mexico, NY