[SEL] RE. O.T. Please identify this "lamp"

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Sep 19 12:09:10 PDT 2007

>Hi All,
         Thanks for the many replies. I think it has been positively
identified as a carbide lamp (which was what I suspected but I'd never seen
one before).

         On Jims list Ken Christison replied with this link to an old
advert for a similar lamp:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/christison/ephemera/carbide-lamp.jpg>

and Dave Croft sent this link:
<http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/images/culture_heritage/minera_lead_mines/gallery/large/carbidelamp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/heritage/minera_lead_mines/gallery/carbide_lamp.htm&h=400&w=300&sz=36&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=ue6Zl2C7Ixxg3M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarbide%2Blamp%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN>

         A Google image search for "carbide lamps" brings up many pictures
of similar lamps as well as some info on how they work (cutaway drawings).

         I'm not going to answer each post from the SEL individually as
there were many helpful replies. To answer a few questions from the SEL
will be easier.

         1)I think it is a bit small to be a generator - from pics and
descriptions I've subsequently found on the net this one could almost be
called a "Miniature Carbide Lamp" very similar in size to this one:
<http://www.minerox.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1578>
         2) The tank is approx. 6" high (excluding the handle) and 3 3/4"
diameter. Apologies for not including this on the page I put up.
         3) The "gas pipe" (I referred to this as a nozzle) that sticks out
the front is indeed missing a jet and I believe this was made of ceramic
(although the link to the "Miniature" above mentions a "soapstone burner").
         4) The bracket seen above this gas pipe would have been for
attaching a dished aluminium reflector,
         5) I could not distinguish any smell.
         6) There is no makers name on it but I did find the letters
"SAS-SAR" stamped onto the handle which shows it belonged to our railways.
(In Afrikaans "Suid Afrikanse Spoorwee" in English "South African Railways").

         A friend of mine called past today and also identified it as a
miners lamp similar to what had been used by his father. He had an
interesting story to tell about them.
         When a "shift" ended the workers would empty their lamps out
before handing them back to the store to be refilled for the next day.
         My friend tells that he had to go to the mine about every 2 weeks
and gather up this grey sludge that they poured out and then use this stuff
to paint his Dad's poultry and pigeon cages. It evidently was a very good
method of preventing mites and lice from infesting the birds.
         Anyway, thanks for all the replies. When I saw it in the
"junkshop" I just knew that I had to have it although I did not know
exactly what it was. The shop owner said it was an oilcan but I knew it was
not. Also got it for a bargain - less than US$ 4.00
         I'm busy cleaning it up now and it's coming up pretty nicely.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
See:
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm