[SEL] My Shotgun Maytag

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 16:42:38 PDT 2007

Yup, Helen.
I have had that picture on my computer since you put it up.
THAT picture is what made me what to make one.
Then came the Fall 1999 Swap Meet at the Buckley Showgrounds.
I went looking for a Maytag single because all I had at that time was a twin.

There it was,,,, Sitting on the ground mounted to the most beautiful set of skids I have ever seen a Maytag on.  The skids were Western Red Cedar. The whole set of skids were built from way too thin Cedar.
The two runners were 3/4" X 2" and the cross boards that the engine was mounted to were 1/2" X 1 1/2" material.

I walked up and asked ,"How Much?"
He answered, "180 Bucks."
I asked if it ran and he started kicking it over.
It didn't sound like it would run so I asked, "How much now?"

He just replied with the same price and I walked away.  This was about 8:30 AM on Friday.  All day Friday every time I came around that corner I asked, "How much now?"  He was kicking at that engine all day.  I made sure that I tried one last time about 6PM before I went home.  "How much now?"  By then I was getting a growl in response.

Okay, Now it's Saturday,,,  I showed up at 9AM and went right to his area.
"How much this morning?"
He actually replied, "180 Bucks."
"Does it run this morning?" say I.
So he kicks it another dozen times.

Here we go again,,,,  All day I keep asking and he keeps grunting.
BTW, What I haven't mentioned is,,, Both days other people kept asking if it ran.
He was kicking that engine all day both days.
I was totally amazed those beautiful, but flimsy skids were holding up.

About 4:30PM Saturday I was in one of those "right places at the right time" situations.

I was just approaching that corner when I saw another man walk up and ask if it ran. I stopped right there to watch
The owner started kicking it and I heard a little cracking sound.
Then I started walking again,,,,  What timing !!!!
Just as I got there he gave the final kick.
Those beautiful skids turned into a pile of pretty toothpicks.
The other guy dropped his head and turned away.
I paused for about two full seconds then asked, "How much NOW?"
He replied, "Gimme eighty bucks and you can have it."
I reached for the cash and he turned and walked away,,,,,,
What NOW?, I think.
He went into the side door of his trailer and held out this bright purple pipe attached to a bright purple brake drum.  Then he walked further into the trailer and brought back this old stock with a tent pole attached to it. By attached,,, I mean it was taped to the stock with electrical tape. He handed that to me also.

There I stood with the stand, the gun and eighty bucks all at once.
He took the money then said, "Figured you might as well have the rest of it too."

WHAT A DEAL !!!!!

I took that Maytag home and set it on the picnic table.

Sunday afternoon I walked up there and checked the gas. It smelt fresh.
I grabbed the little mixture lever and flipped it to the right.
Now remember,, That needle had been pointing straight up.
The way it hit the tank made me want to check it out.
I removed the screw then the lever.
Then I turned that needle it another THREE AND A HALF TURNS !!!!!!
That needle was way too many turns out.
One kick and she would be flooded.

I put the lever on so it shuts just barely before that lever hits the tank.
Then I screwed together four pieces of 2 X 4 and screwed the engine to it's not-so-pretty skids.   I sat the engine on the ground and kicked it just one time.
The engine was running.   I was amazed that it was that easy.
I was also amazed that someone had it that far off.
I went and got the shotgun parts and hooked then up.
Sweet, said I,,,,

Then I started working on the gun and I went to the hardware store and got some green paint for the stand.
Anyone would have known the barrel was a tent pole,,,  The tip of the "barrel" was the necked down area that was supposed to slide into the next pole.  I cut that part off real quick.

There it is,,,  I went looking for an engine to use and got the whole thing way cheaper than I figured I would.

Alan Bowen
Williamsburg, Michigan

Jim French <fbi at insulate.co.uk> wrote: Duh!!!!  In too much of a rush.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/dolly/portland/shotgun.jpg