[SEL] Maytag steals the show !!

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Thu Sep 6 20:35:10 PDT 2007

Hi Jerry,
Congrats on a successfull first outing for the Maytag. The Maytag invasion
of the African continent can begin. GRINNN.
Alans got it right. Lots of wasted fuel out the exhaust between hits. 20 -1
is probably just fine since its running no load. But stick to the two cycle
lubes.  In the long run theres less carbon build up and deposits. Other
oils lube probably just as well but in the long term deposits show the
problem. Mind ya now as seldom as they get run in retirement you'll be a
long time seeing the deposits from say 30W oils but it will eventually
build up.  If you can easily get marine or outboard two cycle oils they
seem to work the best and are not much more $$ then the less suitable
lubes. Smoke is just a part of life with a tag.
  That restart problem might be from a coil that gets weak as it heats up.
Expansion from heat in the windings allows for some leakage thru the
insulation inside the windings. After it cools some and things settle down
a bit it fires right back up.  30C is not that hot for a Tag.
When you run it next time stop it about half way thru a tank full and then
try to restart. If its hard to start than a weak coil may be the thing. A
condenser might also be some of the problem. Hell theres a couple other
little things that can cause that too.  You just have to start chasing
possabilities. Unless you have the proper test equipment to check coils.
  Some coils that have this problem in a more severe form will cause the
engine to quit on its own and not restart till its cooled down.
  Make sure the points are really clean. You mentioned it was really dusty
around. Some dust could be getting between the points and causing some
connection problems. This will weaken the spark too.
  If you do get a twin make sure the seller guarantees the coil and
crankshaft to be good. These are MAJOR expensive and highly problematic
parts of a twin. And available good twin coils are nearly non existant.

                                                     TTYL,   Mark

>          The great news is that my Maytag stole the show !! (Sorry Dave).
>It ran beautifully and the temporary (which may become permanent) muffler I
>made for it blew smoke (and "smoke rings" when the breeze was still) all
>day (for 2 days). It started first time every time (much to my amazement)
>and really did itself proud. I ran it on a 20:1 mix with modern 2 stroke
>oil but  will later experiment with other ratios until I get the smoke
>"just right".

Mark & Christine Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA            Email: Frappi at wcoil.com

Your one stop on line source for Maytag Multi-Motor parts.
Parts lists available on request.

Weekdays & Saturday 10 AM to 9 PM Eastern Time 419.358.5206
No Sunday calls if possible.
I am not an employee or licensed dealer for Maytag Corp. Nor do I represent
them in any way shape or form. I am only a Collector, Preservationist and
hobby dealer of Maytag manufactured items of old.   Mark