[SEL] Favorite type of engine

Kerry ozengine at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 30 04:24:05 PDT 2007

G'Day George

We sure missed the questions, helps to know what we all  (those that reply)
think about our hobby.

My part, has to be horizontal side shaft, usually English, of which I am
lucky to have Hornsby, Blackstone, Tangye *2, Crossley, nothing special but
nice lookers and runners.
Curved flywheels of some English engines also are my favorite, because of
the looks.
Kero (oil) engines with hot bulb or hot tube and like Russell don't mind the
smell of kero vapour filled shed although Ruth goes off when I come in with
the smell in my clothes, but then again they are a strange breed.
Portables, as I believe that if we have them we should show others specially
the kids, and not lock them up in some black hole.
Normally, highly painted and as with the English engines above, steel
flywheel faces kept somewhat polished as new.

Having said all that I am now in love with my 8 hp Australian, Austral,
Portable, Side shaft, Kero, Hot Bulb engine that had no original black paint
left so I coated it out in used sump oil before rubbing it off (somewhat)
Brock used his shirt to get more off.

Kerry
Lithgow NSW Oz

PS started the Austral for the first time at home today (it did run for a
short time at a Sydney rally a month ago) and I am one happy chappy and the
people next door had a new sound to listen too  8-))