[SEL] Scouts Iron Horse 2009 (Victoria, Australia)

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Mon Oct 22 05:59:27 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,
Every few years Scouts run an event called Iron Horse. Basically it is a
Scout camp with steam and other vintage machinery involved. I'm a Leader
with 1st Emerald and have contact with Knox District who run the event
(only came back from their opposite of the technology spectrum called
Deep Space a couple of weeks ago). The last effort to run this event
folded because of lack of steam involvement and insurance problems
(remember those years?).

Because of my modelling, steam and vintage machinery contacts I've been
asked if I would like to help organise activities for the next one.

The camp will probably be based around Gilwell Park in Gembrook -
probably in mid to late 2009. The camp would likely be popular as it is
in a pre Jamboree year and the longer camps are always popular as all
the kids must have four straight nights under canvas before Jamboree.
Deep Space had around 600 attendees, so somewhere between 600 and 1000
is likely.

My initial thoughts would be to ride a steam hauled train from the city
to Belgrave, then Puff from Belgrave to Gembrook (2 trains at least) and
hike the kids down to Gilwell Park with their baggage carried by steam
truck or other vintage truck and trailer.

Usually one of the days is away from the camp, so probably a trip to a
miniature railway (Cambeltown? (Lysterfield) and DVR are probably the
closest that could handle a huge group of kids). Melbourne Steam Centre
in Wantirna is another good location. Puffing Billy Museum could handle
small groups at a time. To reduce the load on the destination - the camp
would be divided into two or three groups - each group would visit all
available destinations but always only one group at each place.

On the camp itself there would be activities centred around steam and
other machinery. Local engine clubs have already shown some interest in
putting on a private show for the Scouts.

Now what am I chasing you guys for? Ideas! Programming ideas around the
theme. Perhaps ideas of a simple steam engine to build that kids with
zero machining ability could put together and have it actually run on
air. Something that a company or club could be paid to machine a large
number of kits for - perhaps a commercial kit?

There is potential for club members to become involved in helping kids
learn and build things - a current Victorian Working With Children card
is mandatory.

For those unfamiliar with Scouts - this is an event for 10.5 to 14.5
year old girls and boys divided into troops of 30 and sub-divided into
patrols of 10 - 12.

Regards
Paul