[SEL] O/T Steam main bearing babbitt

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Tue Oct 2 18:49:34 PDT 2007

Hi Rick

How is the fit on the pin where the rod connects to the cross head? And play
there could cause a knock that may be amplified through the rest of the
parts. Any more than a thou or so and you may be hearing it.

If the mains are in good shape I would think that a little scraping would
bring them in to a good running fit.

I would look at the cross head for the source of the knock.

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho
USA