[SEL] Head bolt is out

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Tue Oct 2 15:39:24 PDT 2007

Curt, when I saw all the replys suggesting welding a nut to the stud I stayed out of it. I've tried that method several times with no luck. Maybe the bolts I tried were just too tight, but I had to end up drilling them out. Heat works well on exhaust manifolds where you can raise the temp enough, in a block you can't apply enough heat to help. If a bolt ends up drilled a little off center I use a little half round chisel and peel the remainder out. Penetrating oil doesn't help until you get the bolt moving. I've let stuck engines soak for over a year, pressed the piston out and had powdered rust on it. Bee's wax seams to help when heating, I think it remains at a higher temp then penetrating oils.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA