[SEL] O/T Steam main bearing babbitt

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Tue Oct 2 04:35:07 PDT 2007

  G'day all;
    Friend Corky and I are at our wits end trying to find a very obnoxious
knock(s) on both dead centers of our vertical Wachs engine.  This list has
such great experience with main bearing babbitt, I wanted to ask here.

  Here's the engine and as you all probably know a "Single Simple" fires??
on both sides of the piston;

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2308067910039077051Ronfyj

  Dial indicator on end of cs shows .003 slop.  This may indicate a bend
crank or just out of round..I would think this would be tolerable.

  M/B babbitt looks new and shows no sign of ever being scrapped...one can
still see some ripples.  There is some side to side/axial slop in both main
bearings.  Yes, this would have showed up on the dial indicator had we
loaded one side.

  Now the big question as the crank is going to the crank doc and he can
flux weld and machine to any diameter.

  Do I have him flux weld and machine to a diameter so there is no side to
side/axial slop and if so, how do I determine what diameter to use?

  Also, the rod inserts show wear on one side towards the solid flywheel.
How do I assure this crank is level?  This has been mentioned before..eh,
Curt.. somewhile back.

  I really don't want to pour new babbitt.

  Thanks much...after this endeavor, I'll be headed back to the 4.5hp New
Way in which I'm always looking for a mixer.

Best Regards,
RickinMt.