[SEL] Salesman Sample Olds?

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sun Nov 25 13:23:01 PST 2007

No tag on it Arnie.  I doubt this thing would produce 1/2 HP but it
might.  I've never seen any mention of an engine this small in the Olds
literature.  Everything I've seen shows the 1 1/2 HP as the smallest
Type A.  I had one person contact me and say it definately was a
Salesman Sample.  He said that about 40 years ago he talked to an
elderly gent who worked for Olds.  The guy told him that when Olds
started building the Type A, they made several miniature Type A engines
for the salesmen to take around to the dealers and jobbers to show them
what the new engines would look like.  It was their attempt to ease the
transition from one to the other.  It makes sense as the Type A's were a
radical change from the gearless models that Olds had been making.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY