[SEL] Dixie mag question

Doug Tallman dtallman at accnorwalk.com
Wed Nov 14 19:11:28 PST 2007

At 05:47 PM 11/12/07 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>Over the weekend a 4hp vertical Cushman serial no.27630 followed me home.
> It has a Dixie magneto, my question is:  what goes on the end of the
>high tension wire where it goes into the lead out tower?  It looks like
>it might be an inch long and tapered.  Specs on the mag, Patent dates of
>Dec 16-13, July 28-14, Great Britain 8128 & 29655-13, 21583-14,  Canada
>Dec 22-14.  On the other cover at the bottom, 194603 and 601.
>Thanks.
>Ron Haskell

Ron, Looks like you got as much response on the Dixie as I did when I
posted over on Harry's mag forum. I've got a couple that use the Dixie mag
and both of mine have bakelight coated nuts that thread on the leadout
tower. My question is, how does the magnet work being mounted front to back
instead of being mounted side to side like a Bosch, Eiseman, ect. I've got
one that had a decent spark but not a lot of pull when you turned it by
hand and I didn't think I could crank it fast enough to spark. I took it to
a mag shop to have it charged and they said they couldn't do it with the
magnets on so they removed them and charged them and reassembled. Now I
can't get a decent spark by hand and there is less drag. I've took it all
the way down and really don't understand how the magnetic field of the
magnets are intended to draw on the armature. The coil sits side to side on
a laminated block inside of the magnet. They are trying to sell me a new
coil but I don't think that's the problem. I really had more drag and
better spark before it was charged. Paul(?) says they are a good mag, maybe
he can enlighten us as to how they work????? The newest date on the one I'm
working on is Jan of 15 so it may be a little newer.

           Doug Tallman
           dtallman at accnorwalk.com
           VGTCOA Ohio Regional Director
               Greenwich, OH USA