[SEL] Muffler paint- 2K feedback wanted

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Nov 7 13:22:50 PST 2007

Hi Guys,
         I've been very quiet on the lists lately. Major problems with my
Internet connection!! But this is, after all, South Africa - rapidly
retreating into 3rd world status ! When you get (dial-up) connections at 4
Kbits per second and the local telephone line provider (monopoly) checks
the line twice and reports that there is nothing wrong with it then one
just has to wonder! It took me 25 minutes to send an eMail with a 124 Kbyte
attachment last week. In the good old days this would have gone out in max.
10 seconds.

         It's 10:30 pm here and I've just been tweaking the bitch's carby.
(My 8 HP air cooled Bernard a.k.a "Madame"). Some of you may know her -
shes a French built model and looks great but in a former life she must
have been either a brothel owner or a school mistress - she does not take
nonsense from anyone. Hence her name "Madame".

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/madam1.jpg>

(That rubber fuel line has long since been replaced with copper.)

If you just touch her wrong while trying to start her she is guaranteed to
try her best to break your wrist. Only way to start is with a crank handle
but fortunately this is spring loaded and fits into a sleeve, it cannot
jump out and smash your face (I think that she must have done this with her
designer - hence the sleeve to keep the crank handle in place). If you
crank her "just wrong" she does her best to break your wrist. Best not to
fool with her after a few drinks! She often needs "sweet nothings"
whispered into her ear - something like "c'mon you bitch - if you don't
start this time it's the smelter for you". She usually runs beautifully
after this :-)

         This gets me back to the reason for this mail. Sometime within the
last year someone asked the question, "what is the best paint for a
muffler". I replied that we use black 2K paint without a primer and cited
"Madame's" muffler as an example -being an air cooled 8 HP her muffler gets
pretty hot - it still looks as good as new.

         I forget who asked but he did reply and say that he would give it
a try.

         Some feedback would be great - did you (or any other list members)
try it and, if so, how did it work for you?

         Many questions and answers come through the lists but feedback as
to wether it worked for you or not seldom appear.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
(Winners of the 2007 Rugby World cup).
See: