[SEL] Babbitt Lapping Compound

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Thu Nov 1 04:59:57 PDT 2007

  I would think heavy scraping at first and then lapping compound for the
final, similiar to what they do with a valve.

JB and others, Would you consider using this compound in a grease cup?

RickinMt.

Richard Strobel wrote:
>   Howdy;
> Heard about this for quite some time now from a friend, who's friend uses
> it
> on Model A's and such.
>
>   Has anyone tried this and if so, did you have the warm fuzzy feelin'?
>
> http://www.newmantools.com/lapping/time.htm
>
> RickinMt.
===
This (or similar) was around here, in Australia, in the 1950s when I was
an apprentice in a powerhouse.

The old tradesmen preferred to hand-scrape the white-metal (babbit)
bearings, which they could do much more quickly. However I experimented
with it later when I had a power house of my own, but it was slow,
especially as I took special precautions to wash all remnants away
afterwards.

I believe the abrasive material was pumice.

JW²
===