[SEL] My Taylor Vacuum Engine LIVES!!

Rick I. rdi at rochester.rr.com
Sun May 20 09:25:13 PDT 2007

I got my Taylor Vacuum Engine running!!!   My club had a crank-up two
Sundays ago, and I brought the Taylor.  I asked for help figuring out my
timing problem- that no matter what I did, the start/retard lever always had
WAY too much of an effect.  We solved the prob, and got it running nicely!
I can start it on the first pull now!  :D

Here's the KEY piece of advice:  the Wico retard/advance lever never works
right!  Just set it to "run" (down), time the engine so it works with that
setting, then forget about using it, "we all do it that way".  Ha!  I
would've had it running a year ago if I'd known that!!
Mucho thanks to the Pioneer Gas Engine guys who helped me!

I have a 15 second digital video of its first run at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/images/TaylorFirstRunOK.avi .  The
file is about 2MB in size.

You can see the blue tape on the flywheel flash by that I was using to time
it.  Using VirtualDub video editting software, I viewed this video
frame-by-frame to count the revolutions, and the engine's doing 368 RPM
here.  The engine is rated at 450 RPM, so we indeed have slowed it down a
bit.

-Rick I.
The full story's at:  Rick's Taylor Vacuum Engine web site:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/