[SEL] 1-1/2hp Sattley Paint Color and ID Please.

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 14:08:49 PDT 2007

Thanks for the quick reply, Ron.
  Do you know who made it?
  Does your have an engine tag with serial number on it?
  Alan

"Ron Frost, Kersey, PA" <ron217_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Alan, I got one just like it. They are a good little engine. I got mine some 45 years ago and it was a dark green. I think this is the correct color for them.
Ron

Alan Bowen wrote:
Howdy Folks,
A lurker crawling out from under the rug here. 8>))

Spring swap meet at the Buckley club today.
http://www.buckleyoldengineshow.org/index.htm

A nice little Sattley jumped in my truck because the PO didn't know 'nuff to give it the care it needs. I think it is a 1-1/2 hp engine anyway,,,, see below,,,

It has been painted a nice dark green with name decals and pin stripping.
The problem is the green was painted over yellow and not prepared right. The green is chipping off to show the ugly yellow in too many places. Is this engine supposed to be green? The PO said it was painted like that when he bought it.

You ask which Sattley is it???
Well, The engine is missing it's tag if it ever had one,,,,
Who built the Sattley engines? Since they are not listed in A.G.E.S. 1872 under Sattley I don't know where to look.
This is a nice little open crank H&M with Wico spark plug fired engine.
It has two solid flywheels that are 15-1/2" and have a 1-3/4" face.
The flyweights are on the governor not the flywheel.
The mag side flywheel has a little flip out crank.

The PO had $400 on it, but blew it when he told me it had a problem.
He said it ran great but it wouldn't lock out and miss.
He, and another guy that "seemed" to know a lot, "showed" me where the whole governor was worn out and needed to be replaced so I made an offer. 8>))

Of course I had already turned the engine slowly and pulled a flyweight to make it lock out. Then I had held the flyweight and turned it further seeing the chipped edge of the lockout piece slip out of place. ,,,,,, Let's see here,,,
A couple bolts, a little weld bead then go to the grinder and make a nice sharp edge,,,,,

That engine just seemed to be begging me to give it a new home. 8>))

Alan Bowen
Williamsburg, Michigan