[SEL] Blackstone progress

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Sat May 5 20:13:41 PDT 2007

 Hi Elden.
There are a lot of things I don't know about this engine, I am not sure
what the spring injection means.  Probably it has a spring to pressurize
the fuel and not a high pressure pump.  It is to run on

"From soon after the First World War the Carter brothers began working to
develop an improved for of fuel injection system for their engines. Their
work culminated in 1924 with the introduction of the ‘Spring Injection’
mechanism. Simple in both design and operation it allowed a measured
amount of fuel to be pumped to the injection chamber at a precise moment
and for sufficient time for the fuel to be fully burnt. With close
control of fuel consumed and an ability to start from cold and to run on
practically any fuel, the company claimed the spring injection engine
could successfully challenge steam in its last stronghold, the power
station steam turbine. "
Here is a picture of the mechanism.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/blkstone/History8.htm
They were designed to run on "residual oil"  #2 Diesels will work well.