[SEL] How to Straighten Spoke in Cart Wheel

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Mon Mar 26 20:39:29 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of Paul Maples
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 8:18 PM
To: The SEL email discussion list
Subject: [SEL] How to Straighten Spoke in Cart Wheel

I had my wheels for my cart sandblasted today by a friend of mine and he
done a pretty good job. I will do the finish blasting tomorrow. One of the
wheels has a bent spoke, not bad, but bent a little.

What would be the best way to straighten it, just get a block of wood and
hit it or use some heat and then hit it. It was bent cold so probably it
might be best to straighten it cold, I just don't want to crack it. Here is
some pictures of the wheel and the bent spoke:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/CartWheel2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/CartWheel1.jpg

Paul

~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul, any number of methods are likely to get the job done.  It's not as if
there's only one right way to do it.

I've straightened spokes bent like yours and have done it cold.  I just
placed a heavy hunk of iron (think anvil or bucking bar) behind the spoke
with the bend pointing away from it.  Then, give the bend a good whack with
a heavy hammer, one on the order of two pounds.  The bucking bar will keep
the hammer from putting a reverse bend in the spoke.

After you've straightened it out, you may want to abrasive blast the hammer
marks.  They'll have a slightly different surface texture that may be
obvious after it's all painted.

I would not try heating the bend.  If you do, the hammer blow might flatten
the spoke.  If it refuses to straighten cold and you *must* heat it, use a
block of wood between the hammer and the spoke.

Good luck.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA