[SEL] Visit to Mt Wilson old iron collection

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Sat Mar 17 14:55:32 PDT 2007

Last Sunday My friend Fred Rister and I were the guests of Larry
Evans for a great tour of the Mt Wilson old iron collection (Known to
those outside the old engine community as the Mount Wilson
Observatory East of Los Angeles CA .  I had told Larry ahead of time
that Fred and I are interested in old iron and we make our living in
the optics industry so he had Don Nicholson from the observatory
there to show us around before we went to see the Fairbanks Morse
engine / generator.
http://astronomyoutreach.net/astronomers.d/nicholson.d/index.html

Much of the Observatory Including Both the 60 in and the 100 in
mirror telescopes were installed before 1917 so the mountain is full
of old iron to generate electricity (110 V DC) and to move the
telescopes to track the stars, and to open and close the shutters and
rotate the dome ETC.  Even maintenance items like cranes are purpose
built to work in the dome top buildings and are original. The whole
mountain is a toy box for any one who likes old iron.

The place runs on DC because they had to make there own power and
they didn't want exhaust or vibration at night so they generated DC
during the day and used it at night.  There are to many motors to
change them all out and they still work so they stay.  What a delight.

I have posted some pix of motors and panels and a clock work that
moved the telescope to track the stars.  I also posted a few shots of
a Worm wheel because it impressed me, not only for it's size, but
because of the story.  It had to be brought up the mountain in two
parts. Therefor, it was assembled on site and then the teeth were cut
in place.  Each thing you look at is even more impressive when you
realize that they were made in 190? and they were brought up the
mountain on a dirt path.

There are already good pictures on these sites.
http://www.mtwilson.edu/index.php
http://www.mwoa.org/gallery.html  Don't miss this one.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/  Larry and Ken's site. Very Good.
http://oldengine.org/members/levans/mtwilsonfm/

http://physics1.usc.edu/solar/hist_images.html

And more.

My pictures are at http://lbpinc.com/Mt-wilson.html  Warning, LARGE files

A great old Iron day.  My thanks to Larry Evans and Don Nicholson

Frank

  Frank DeWitt

  Light plant WEB page
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>http://www.oldengine.org/members/<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>frank
  Mechanical Design      mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
  LBP  INC.              Phone:  585 624 3052
  2365 Cox Rd.           Fax     585 624 1038
  Bloomfield NY 14469    Web   http://www.lbpinc.com